Thursday, April 19, 2012

Design Team Project
By Amy Mayfield

The Fairy Follies: a how to-ish post

I’m jazzed to share my latest creation as a part of the Lisa Kettell Design Team. I can’t help it, I love to make little theatres and shrines and, again, I can’t say no to glitter.

Supplies Used:
Lisa Kettell Steampunk Moon Small
Lisa Kettell Fairytale Follies Collage CD
Square Shrine Opera House Digital Collage Sheet
Paper mache box
A smidge of acrylic paint
Stickles in a variety of colors
Scissors
Cutting Mat
Glue
Xacto knife
Small bits of adhesive foam
White cardstock

To start with my box was deeper than I wanted it to be and didn’t have a hole in the front. So I made the box shorter and used my xacto knife to cut a square out of the box top. (Do I need to remind people to cut carefully?) I used four different images from the Fairytale Follies CD and sized them down considerably.

The backdrop I printed at around 4 inches and the fairies inside were printed around 2.5 I glued the backdrop to the back of the inside, carefully cut out the fairies and attached them using the foam adhesive. I layered two pieces on the women and just one on the back of the couple so they’d have different depths. I painted the moon with gray acrylic paint, set him aside to dry and then smeared some silver Stickles on him. The “stars” are just dots of Diamond Stickles.

I can’t resist adding sparkles to everything and I love the way Stickles hold their shape and are easy to write with. The blue at the bottom was an off brand that didn’t work out well.

I didn’t completely cover the interior since my theatre facade has a good bit of overhang. To make it, I carefully cut out all the nooks and crannies, trimmed it in Gold Stickles and attached the fabulous fairy head from the Collage CD that I had sized down. Make sure you line up the bottom of the opera facade closely with the box top to avoid any standing issues or cardstock wrinkling.

I applied a little glue and slapped it all together:

I can’t get enough of the Fairytale Follies Collage CD. It will keep you crafting happily for a super long time. What are you working on?

Amy!

..................................................................................................................................

Amy has me wanting to make some carnival or operatic, fairy theaters right now, I think I'll do just that! Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous project Amy, its over the top amazing, I'm so inspired right now!

XO

Lisa

5 comments:

Nichola said...

Ahhhh! I adore your little theatre. It's absolutely grand :)

Lisa Kettell said...

Amy did such a great job on this! I adore it too! xo :-)

Lisa Kettell said...

Amy did such a great job on this! I adore it too! xo :-)

AmyBlam said...

Thank you all! It was fine, I love that CD!

Marfi-topia said...

this is gorgeous!
I'm gonna have to get me that CD!
lol:)
beautiful!!!!